Saturday 15 June 2013

Long Awaited Progress Update

Awesome - a lot of bits are coming together.  Of course, there's a good number of them falling apart too but that's why software development is inherently an iterative process - writing good code is difficult and requires going over familiar territory a few times.  That's the way it's been for me since the last blog, but things are really looking up now.

One of the main issues I had was moving the TPC controller into a "real scene".  For a while I want looking to white box my own city and while that is inevitable, i've decided to just use one of the asset store pre-built scenes - it's motivating to see how the TPC and Nightfall in general are coming along in a nice setting :).

I've been thinking about the name 'Nightfall', seems there are some publications, companies, etc... using it ... so i'm not sure it'll be an option when things are ready to brand and release.  One name that occured to me was 'Homin Macabre'.  If memory serves, the Spartans had something like 'Homin Noctra' (I really don't recall tbh) and it meant 'a beautiful death' .. my game centers around a whole lot of killing, so perhaps a play on that phrase to mean 'a beautiful slaughter' :).

So now I have the TPC climbing and vaulting, fixed some nasty little bugs such as running slides done on an angle caused TheMan to just keep on a' rotating.  A host of animation blurps (still plenty of those, don't worry we wouldn't want to feel too self assured!) and right now I'm really trying to tweak the weapons and making them behave 'just so'.

I need to re-evaluate the whole RMB to melee/alt attack here, i'm thinking most folks would prefer iron sights and quasi-FPS zoom effect for precision, so i'll look into switching that up.  Defiance the game had a good mechanic in this regard, just slap V(?) and you melee - sounds good to me.

Lot of work to be done to make control more fluid, but at this point I'm wanted to push forward again - the AI is just roughed in right now and stats/HUD don't really exist ... I'd like to tackle some of those issues as well as a game menu and such here soon.

Anyhow, need to optimize the web player here for a demo, will post that when ready (not for a bit) - my goal is to get a single player mini-game up and running before moving forward.  Once I can get most of the risky bits hammered out i'd like to see about taking the kickstarter approach, i've been waiting for a game like this for a while so other like minded gamers could really help me move this game into the fast lane.  For that reason i'm going to focus on fleshing out some game bits (less tech demo, more game!) and get a cutscene etc... done up.

Anyhow, here are some screen shots:





No comments:

Post a Comment