Thursday 28 March 2013

Transitional Forms

Perfect - managed to finally get a handle on all that "pop" going from one control handler/animation set to the next.

There's still some cleanup for sure, but I had a real issue when you performed a hop up onto platform, window climb through, etc... and those are all fluid now, even switching between unarmed and armed looks great.

It all came down to how i was using LookAt and the weights being applied.  Before it was either 0f or 1f - off or on, and that created situations where after a hopup you'd see the character "snap" into another pose.

Now I'm using transitional blending/weighting, so when I go from the DefaultHandler -> HopUpHandler for instance, i'm lerping back to 0 or 1 as needed.  This creates a much smoother experience and i'm finally feeling like theres some light at the end of the animation tunnel.

So, its not perfect however, there is still a bit of slop with vaulting I'll have to look into and climbing ladders is busted atm, those are my priorities atm.

After that, back to weapon bloom/clipping issues and overall combat "feel".

The crouching animations need help, badly - so that's going to be the focus for my animator here is to redo these animations so they look right and movement is more fluid/looks better.

I'll need to stop being picky soon though, it's almost time to start considering how i'll be handling wearing armour in the game.  Or perhaps some combat enhancements like zooming and moving right mouse button to zoom toggle instead of melee alt attack.  Perhaps I'll use 'F' for melee attack (as a default of course).

I'd like to package up the TPC so I'm able to import it into my project.

One thing that's really an impediment right now is my environment.  Without a 3d modeller on hand here it's getting very difficult to do more advanced testing in a potential "game environment" as opposed to my happy little playground.

There are a few other bugs to work out though, my grounding code works but the detection of being grounded while walking off a ledge is annoying - you can get multiple fall/land events if you hit the edge just right.  I believe this issue comes from not giving a time buffer or some means of delaying falling a bit more so that the edge detection is not such an issue... perhaps an "hop forward" animation might seal the deal, but then what if the user is just trying to edge up to look over the roof edge and it fires :).

Another bug, which imo is more unity physics related, is the problem of capsule colliders vs an overhanging collider.  So if you have something about eye height, and you run into it, the capsule collider gets pushed "downwards" into the ground.  Do this aggressively enough, and you'll find yourself stuck or falling through the ground.

Ugh.

That will be interesting to deal with, it has to do with rigidbody interactions i'm sure, but for now i'm focused on gameplay elements so it'll have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment